Cooking Time: 35 Minutes
1 extra-large onion (about 3 inches in diameter)
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon water
½ cup powdered Parmesan cheese (about 1½ ounces; see here) (or pork dust for dairy-free; see here)
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
FOR GARNISH (OPTIONAL):
Fresh parsley leaves
Powdered Parmesan cheese (see here)
FOR SERVING (OPTIONAL):
Prepared yellow mustard
Ranch Dressing (here)
Reduced-sugar or sugar-free ketchup
1. Spray the air fryer basket with avocado oil. Preheat the air fryer to 350°F.
2. Using a sharp knife, cut the top ½ inch off the onion and peel off the outer layer. Cut the onion into 8
equal sections, stopping 1 inch from the bottom—you want the onion to stay together at the base. Gently
spread the sections, or “petals,” apart.
3. Crack the eggs into a large bowl, add the water, and whisk well. Place the onion in the dish and coat it
well in the egg. Use a spoon to coat the inside of the onion and all of the petals.
4. In a small bowl, combine the Parmesan, seasonings, salt, and pepper.
5. Place the onion in a 6-inch pie pan or casserole dish. Sprinkle the seasoning mixture all over the onion and use your fingers to press it into the petals. Spray the onion with avocado oil.
6. Loosely cover the onion with parchment paper and then foil. Place the dish in the air fryer. Cook for 30 minutes, then remove it from the air fryer and increase the air fryer temperature to 400°F.
7. Remove the foil and parchment and spray the onion with avocado oil again. Protecting your hands with oven-safe gloves or a tea towel, transfer the onion to the air fryer basket. Cook for an additional 3 to 5 minutes, until light brown and crispy.
8. Garnish with fresh parsley and powdered Parmesan, if desired. Serve with mustard, ranch dressing, and ketchup, if desired.
9. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat in a preheated 400°F air fryer for 3 to 5 minutes, until warm and crispy.
total carbs 3g